On the surface, OpenERP and eucalyptus trees don’t appear to have much in common. But in the Democratic Republic of Congo there were important partners and Xpansa has made the union happened.
In the D.R.C., wood is a central source of energy. A single province, North Kivu consumes 3.000,000 square meters of wood per year to produce the charcoal necessary to produce heat needed in every home and provide electricity. Unfortunately, wood is poached from national, regional and local parks negatively affecting wildlife and the environment.
The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) created the Ecomakala program to save trees specifically in the Virunga National Park. The goals of the program are stated below:
- Support for plantations growing eucalyptus trees as a crop.
- Reduce poaching of naturally growing trees and other foliage in parks.
- Stimulate economic development and agricultural growth through subsidized farming.
To accomplish this, the WWF approached XPANSA for IT infrastructure support for the program. Specifically XPANSA was asked to build a solution for:
- Tracking planter and plantation activities
- Maintaining a database of tree nurseries
- Tree growth recording
- Managing subsidy payments to planters
- Generating regular reporting to European Union program funding sources.
Through process investigation, XPANSA generated a solution with OpenERP as the wireframe. Xpansa felt that standard functionality with a custom agricultural overlay would best serve the program. Xpansa’s suggestion was based on the following factors:
- WWF preferred an open source solution.
- Future modules would be easy to build and integrate.
- WWF was looking for the lowest cost of implementation and support.
After integration, the XPANSA OpenERP solution was able to eliminate transactional records that were previously paper-based. Paper-based solutions were particularly problematic for the program because of geographic distance, slow reporting times and national or regional government change and outbreaks of civil unrest.
The World Wide Fund for Nature is thrilled with the results and XPANSA is obviously very proud to be a part of such an important project.
Although there are many business functions and departments that can benefit from automation, some of the biggest cost savings wins can be found in the Finance department.
Even if your company has more than 10k employees, licence costs of management software can be 0 EUR
Having data in one place is not enough, because it is not helpful without its further analyses